Saturday, December 27, 2008

Warmer or Colder?


Because we have experience with a warmer and a colder climate, people sometimes wonder whether we 'd rather have colder or warmer temperatures than "ideal". The ideal temperature is about F75 and you'll get it more often in Florida than in Belgium. But is F105 more bearable than, say F60 or F50? Folks in Belgium may believe so because they don't experience high temperatures often and because they don't like the low temperatures all that much. But the weather of the past few days has convinced me of the opposite. Even when it is freezing--like the past few days--an extra sweater, mittens and a scarf can make you feel pretty comfortable while dressing for F105 temperatures is hard, especially when the humidity is relatively high like in the Florida Summers.

Omdat wij ervaring hebben met warmer en kouder klimaat, vragen mensen zich soms af of we liefst warmer of koudere hebben dan "ideaal". De ideale temperatuur ligt rond 25C en die heb je vaker in Florida dan in Belgie. Maar is 40C beter doenbaar dan 15C of 10C? Mensen in Belgie durven denken dat warmer beter is omdat ze niet vaak warme temperaturen hebben en omdat ze de lagere temperaturen beu zijn. Maar het weer van de voorbije dagen heeft me overtuigd van het omgekeerde. Zelfs als het vriest--zoals de voorbije dagen--kunnen een extra sweater, handschoenen en een sjaal je een comfortable gevoel geven terwijl gepaste kledij vinden voor 40C heel moeilijk is, zeker als de vochtigheid hoog is zoals tijdens de Florida zomers.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

I didn't realize you were writing in English! I have so much to catch up with! I totally agree, I don't mind the cold weather at all, and I mean COLD, many days its in the teens and 20's F and I still feel OK! Of course I don't spend much time outside, but I can do my normal life, specially if the sun is shining. When it's not, even if it's warmer, I feel the cold getting into my bones! Big kisses to the three of you!